Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Zhúběi beach in the late afternoon.

Looking for a place to sun my body, I eventually happened upon a beach in Zhúběi (竹北). Not the best beach in Taiwan but then this IS the Northern West Coast where good beaches have been ruined in order to establish the industrial heart of Taiwan.


A place where fish apparently commit suicide in a desperate attempt to escape the polluted sea.
Unfortunately, it was a bit late in the afternoon to obtain that all-over shade of mud, so I scrutinized the activities on the beach.

A group of people were digging up worms for bait, and told me they are edible.


Sure they are, but do we want to? I’ll leave them for the hungry fish.


Some men, all colleagues had time off and decided to make a day of it. My first impression was that they were a rugby team who came out for bonding. I should remember that rugby is for many locals as alien as biltong. Energetically running around they were in high spirits and full of fun. I would have loved to talk more but my Mandarin still sucks. I must say that even with limited knowledge of each other’s languages something as mundane as a language barrier has never stopped Taiwanese from communicating, or at least trying, and living up to their reputation as one of the friendliest peoples in the world.


A guy can never have a too developed six-pack – ask any forty-year-old! As for the rest, well…


I was wrong about the rugby, but ball play it was. The round ball is definitely more known than the oval one.


They were more than willing to pose and I got several pictures of good-looking Taiwanese men.

Then a Vietnamese national started a conversation. As he doesn’t live too far, he often cycles to the beach and enjoy the warm water. He is a multi-lingual person who can speak Vietnamese, Mandarin and English. But, even adding a Business degree, finding a job in Vietnam proved difficult. So, he came to Hsinchu, leaving behind a wife and child. Being separated from my spouse by an ocean for two years, I know how hard and lonely it can be. Daily webcam just isn’t the same.


And as the sun left to shine its light on a different scene, it was time to head home.

No comments: